You are here:
Catalyst Projects > Coalition Capacity Building
– See description below for the Catalyst Project –
The Coalition position and project opportunities that were identified as the most important to this Catalyst Project are:
- Community administrator
- Community treasures directory
- Community graphic identity roll-out
- Neighborhood watch network
- NeighborWorks Organizational Assessment Services
- Mentorship programs
- Landlord legislation enforcement
- Healthy food leadership network
Catalyst Project Description:
The Marlborough Community Coalition is a 501(c) 3 organization focused on linking partners and stimulating new grassroots leadership that will strengthen the Marlborough neighborhoods for increased homeownership, economic growth, and high quality education opportunities. For the last five years this organization has worked hard for their businesses and residents to bring positive change to Marlborough.
Coalition Accomplishments have included:
- Saving the Community Center from closing
- Attracting a new all-purpose store
- Rerouting the bus line on 85th
- Public beautification and restoration projects along Paseo
- Securing $800,000 in City-designated improvements to the Community Center and Marlborough Park
- A model block homeownership program
- Neighborhood clean-up days that have increased community pride and connected neighbors
With the completion of The Catalyst Plan the volunteer board comprising the Coalition has recognized that this is a critical time to increase capacity to dedicate time, resources, and organizational talent to the opportunities identified through this planning process. Ultimately, a full time Executive Director position will be funded to coordinate and connect Marlborough projects and programs while providing a consistent link to the Board’s approval processes. Upcoming investments potentially impacting Marlborough neighborhoods – including the new Cerner development, Oxford on the Blue campus, the Prospect MAX line, and the possible Country Club streetcar line – create a window of opportunity for the redevelopment of Marlborough’s residential core, commercial nodes, and industrial district, unlike any it has experienced in at least three generations.
Creating a great environment for small businesses, educators, social service agencies, the businesses of the industrial district, and residents of all five neighborhoods to connect and mobilize around common goals is the key to taking advantage of this window of opportunity.
Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.
The project opportunities with the greatest potential to strengthen the capacity of the Marlborough Community Coalition include the funding of an administrative staff position. That position and opportunities identified as the most important to this Catalyst Project are described below: